To mitigate risks of transmission and prevent spread of COVID-19, the following modalities for issuing work permits have been put in place for foreign workers who complete facility quarantine and test negative in Phuentsholing.
- Foreign workers shall be transported directly to Sorchen Switching Station after completing facility quarantine in Phuentsholing. Foreign Worker Recruitment Agency (FWRA) / Employers shall make arrangements to transport their foreign workers from Sorchen till Thimphu.
- Work permits for all foreign workers whose worksites are in low risk areas shall be issued by the Department of Immigration (DOI) in Thimphu.
- The FWRA/Employer shall submit the following to the Service Division, DOI, Thimphu, in advance while the foreign workers are undergoing facility quarantine. The details should be emailed to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
i. Approval from Department of Labour (DOL)
ii. Scanned copy of passport/voter card
iii. Duly completed work permit application form
iv. Duly completed Employer and Employee Undertaking Form
- Work permits for foreign workers whose worksites are in high risk areas such as Phuentsholing or Samtse shall be issued by the Regional Immigration Office (RIO), Phuentsholing.
- FWRA/Employer or an authorized representative shall report to the Service Division, DOI, Thimphu, with their foreign workers for processing work permits without fail. Foreign workers shall be required to submit a copy of their quarantine completion certificate and medical fitness certificate to the Service Division, DOI.
- This is an interim measure till facilities are set up at appropriate locations in low risk areas for issuing work permits for foreign workers entering from Phuentsholing, Gelephu and Samdrup Jongkhar.
For more information/clarification, please contact the Service Division, DOI at 02-33522/330874/331263 during office hours.
Department of Immigration
10 November 2020