To mitigate risks of transmission and prevent spread of COVID-19, the following modalities for issuing work permits have been put in place for foreign workers who complete facility quarantine and test negative in Phuentsholing with effect from 16 March 2021.
- Foreign workers shall be transported directly to Sorchen Switching Station after completing facility quarantine in Phuentsholing. Employers/Foreign Worker Recruitment Agency (FWRA) shall make arrangements to transport their foreign workers from Sorchen till Thimphu.
- Work permits for all foreign workers whose worksites are in low risk areas shall be issued by the Department of Immigration (DOI) in Thimphu.
- Employer/FWRA shall submit scanned copies of the following to the Service Division, DOI, Thimphu, in advance while the foreign workers are in quarantine. The details should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
- Approval from Department of Labour (DOL)
- Valid passport/voter card of foreign worker(s) reflected in approval issued by DOL
- Duly completed Work Permit Application Form
- Duly completed Employer Undertaking Form
- Work permits for foreign workers whose worksites are in high risk areas such as Phuentsholing or Samtse shall be issued by the Regional Immigration Office (RIO), Phuentsholing.
- Employer/FWRA or an authorized representative shall report to the Service Division, DOI, Thimphu, with their foreign workers for processing work permits without fail. Foreign workers shall be required to submit quarantine completion certificate along with following documents to the Service Division, DOI.
- Duly completed Work Permit Application Form in original
- Duly completed Employer Undertaking Form in original
- Duly completed Employee Undertaking Form in original
- Copy of valid passport/voter card
- For more information/clarification, please contact the Service Division, DOI at 02-330879/333522 during office hours.
Department of Immigration
15 March 2021